01244 950 304

Affordable Home Buying Schemes

If you can’t afford to buy a home, you may be entitled to some financial help from the Government, dependent on your circumstances, through an Affordable Housing Scheme.

The two main schemes available are the Shared Ownership Scheme and Help to Buy.

Shared Ownership

If you can’t afford to own a property outright, then Shared Ownership allows you to purchase a share of a property. Typically you’d be expected to purchase a 75% share in the property, whilst the remaining 25% share belongs to the local housing association. You are then required to pay rent on the remaining share. Over time, once you can afford to do so, you can buy the extra shares in the property so that you own your home outright.

Find out more about Shared Ownership schemes (link to separate guide)

Help to Buy

The Help to Buy scheme is a government-approved programme which was introduced in order to help first-time buyers onto the property ladder, and get a stagnant property market moving again.

It is split into three parts:

  • Help to Buy: Equity Loan
  • Help to Buy: Mortgage Guarantee
  • Help to Buy: New Build

Find out more about the Help to Buy scheme (link to separate guide)

The Help to Buy Mortgage Guarantee scheme is a UK government scheme so is available across the United Kingdom.

Depending on where you live in the UK, there are a number of options available and the schemes may differ slightly. To find out what is available in your area visit https://www.gov.uk/affordable-home-ownership-schemes to find out more information about the relevant schemes or to contact a local Help to Buy agent.

Speak to an adviser

Our trained expert advisers have access to the UK’s leading lenders and using their knowledge and skills will place you with the most suitable leader and product for your needs.

01244 950 304

Expert advice from our in-house advisers

What would you like to discuss?

By submitting your details you are agreeing to be contacted by a SoSmart Money adviser who will be able to discuss your requirements, and that you agree to the terms of our Privacy Policy.

Why SoSmart Money? aled

" SoSmart Money are specialists when it comes to mortgage and insurance advice..."

How can we help you?

SoSmart Money are specialists when it comes to mortgage and insurance advice. Our trained expert advisers have access to the UK’s leading lenders and using their knowledge and skills will place you with the most suitable lender and product for your needs.

Speak to one of our experts for mortgage advice, life insurance cover, to protect your income, insurance your home or contents and private medical cover.

trust pilot

"Matthew at So Smart found me the best deal for my first Mortgage, he was extremely helpful! I would highly recommend this company!"

"I've been looking to switch mortgages recently to secure a better rate and the guys at So Smart Money helped me do just that."

"My mortgage enquiry was dealt with swiftly and professionally. I would highly recommend So Smart Money to others."

"I've used sosmartmoney a couple of times now, I checked my old mortgage with them and it encouraged me to get a better deal."

awards

Winner of AI Finance awards 2015 for:
Best personal finance comparison site &
Best online price comparison platform

FAQs
  • How do SoSmart Money make their money?
  • Which products can I compare with SoSmart Money?
  • Who are SoSmart Money?
  • What lenders do you compare?
  • Will I be contacted by other companies?

latest news View All News

Sign up to our newsletter